The video above is footage of the talk I gave to the ‘Pottery in Archaeology’ conference at Doncaster Museum last month. I discuss the principles of the project, progress so far, results to date, and plans for the future.
Apologies for the flickering effect in a lot of the slides, it’s caused by a quirk of my editing software. If it’s too distracting for some then please let me know and I will fix the problem and re-upload this video. I would also recommend subtitles as the audio quality isn’t brilliant.
If you can’t sit and watch through it all, don’t worry, I’ll be posting the results on this blog in the next few days – hopefully in an easier format.
Just to let you know I will be presenting the outline, progress, and current results of the project to the ‘Pottery in Archaeology’ conference in Doncaster Museum and Art Gallery on the 12th of May at 2:45pm. This will be part of a discussion looking at recent discoveries and developments in archaeological ceramics from across Northern England, starting at 10:30am and finishing at 3:30pm, with an hour’s break at 12:30pm.
Please come along if you think you’d be interested! Attendance is free and I’m going to try and make my talk as interesting as possible. Though if you don’t feel like attending or are reading this after the fact, I will try and make a video showing the results as soon as I can.
A report detailing the construction of the light chamber as well as some preliminary results has now been submitted to York Archaeological Trust, and is now available to view at their Resilience page: https://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/GCA-Project-Phase-1.pdf
The page itself has also been updated: https://www.yorkarchaeology.co.uk/resources/finding-the-future/resilience-year-2-3/fragments-of-colour/
I finally managed to get the ‘making of’ video finished for the light chamber, it wasn’t nearly as much of a pain to make as the light chamber itself, as the video should demonstrate.
I’ll have results for the functionality tests on the blog soon! In the meantime if you have any questions about the light chamber or the process of making it then please comment below!
The light chamber is now officially complete and functional! The photographs above were taken during a test I was running earlier this week to establish the best method in which to present consistent, scaled photographs that would not vary based on the colour and size of the target sherd. The results are still being processed, but while they are I am currently testing to ensure that no external light is entering the chamber during the recording process, making it ‘watertight’ if you will.
The videos I’m making are coming, I promise. I am having to prioritise testing at the moment but next week I will focus on presenting some results for the blog, as well as trying to get this video finished.
Hey all, I’ve been working on a poster to easily (hopefully) display data about the samples I’m using for the testing phase of this project. Please comment below if I’m unclear on anything (which I’m certain I have been somewhere) or if you have any questions.
Apologies if the formatting of the blog makes the image difficult to see, you can download the full image at the link below:
Test Samples Poster
I’ve uploaded a black and white version at the link below for anyone whom is red-green colourblind or otherwise.
Test Samples – B&W
Just a quick(ish) update to fill you in on how the project’s been progressing over the last few weeks, where we are now, and what’s coming up in the near future.
If I’m not coherent enough then please let me know and I’ll try and write a text-based update that’s a bit more comprehensive.
Also, if in the future you would like me to produce shorter, more frequent updates then please let me know in the comments below!